This was one of those projects, and I have many, which I start and go great guns on in the beginning, then I peter out and never seem to get it finished. Well this one I finally finished. I bought the yarn years ago when Fisherman’s Wool was around $8.99. Now it’s over $12. Ouch. I saw the pattern book and really wanted to give it a try, it’s called Sampler Afghan.
I thought this would be a fun project to learn some new stitches and have something useful when I’m finished. I just love how this blanket turned out. I used the same size needle throughout to help keep the gauge close to the same from square to square. I liked that each square was completely different and there were 60 patterns to choose from. I used 20 patterns for this project.
As this was knit up, the yarn felt scratchy and coarse. I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be that comfy afghan you want when you grab a blanky and catch a little nap. I blocked the afghan after all the squares were assembled and the wool is so much better. It’s softer and the weight of the blanket feels great. With 100% wool I’m surprised that after blocking it feels so much lighter.
It took me a few months to get 20 squares (12×12 inches each) complete and I loaded them into a canvas bag so they’d all be in one spot if I ever felt the urge to assemble. Two years later, after passing over this UFO (Un-Finished Object) every time I reached for the next project in the stash, I finally decided it wasn’t ever going to put itself together. I started laying out the squares and using a crochet hook the same size as the knitting needles I used a single crochet stitch to attach each square into long strips, then single crocheted the strips together. I thought a simple border would work out best and I picked up stitches along each side and knitted a 2.5 inch seed stitch border. I just love how well it turned out.
This is one of those projects that would make a great heirloom piece to hand down to kids and grandkids.